"The Inclusive We!!!"
Zeta Beta Sigma Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. was originally organized and chartered in Southern
Pines, North Carolina on December 30, 1938. The 11 charter members of Zeta Beta Sigma Chapter are Robert M.
Bell, P.R. Brown, James E. Coppage, J.C. Browning, J.M. Holmes, D.E. Wilson, J. Milton Smith, Rev. T.H. Brooks, Edgar
Williams, D.E. Lilly, and Theodore B. Hayes. The chapter was organized on the campus of Fayetteville State
Teachers College in Fayetteville, North Carolina in 1947 and was re-chartered in Fayetteville, North Carolina on
June 8, 1954 under the direction of Professors Coppage and Robinson. The 9 charter members are Andrew
McLean Spaulding, William Carl Swann, Sr., James Bernard Baird, Watson Fowler, John Henry Lewis, Jr., Richard P.
Robinson, James Edward Coppage, Irving Mitchell, and William E. Lane. Professor James E. Coppage was elected as
the first President of our chapter once re-chartered in Fayetteville. Our activities consisted of "Bigger and Better
Business"; Founder's Day participation; "Scholarships" to worthy students; "Orchid Ball" parade participation, and
co-sponsoring of Zetalite pageant. A huge part of our program has also been to participate in voter
registration and encourage citizens to vote.